How to migrate a user profile from old PC to new PC. The old PC does NOT have to be going or bootable but the hard drive needs to be able to be accessed and filesystem intact(!)
- Create a new_user account on new PC.
- Log in as new_user to initialize profile.
- Reboot (NOT just logout due to Windows keeping files locked even after logout).
- Log in as Administrator and copied profile from old PC's hard drive to C:\Users\old_profile.
- Change permissions of C:\Users\old_profile: Added new_user account with Full Access.
- Change new_user's ProfileImagePath key in registry: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList] to C:\Users\old_profile.
- Load hive C:\Users\old_profile\ntuser.dat and add new_user account with Full Access permissions.
- Load hive C:\Users\old_profile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat and add new_user account with Full Access permissions.
10. Log in as new_user - Tadaa!